Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Why Can't I be a Better Morning Person?

Last night I went to bed early because I wasn't feeling well.

(by the way.... I doubt B and I eat salmon again... didn't do a whole lot of either of us)

B and Scout came in quietly later, Scout nudge my arm to say "goodnight" then curled up on the floor beside my side of the bed. B gets in bed and snuggles with me for a little while then be both peacefully drift to sleep.

I get up after B this morning, go into the kitchen and he's already fed Scout and is making breakfast. I am really groggy and still don't feel 100% so I'm kind of going through the motions of being awake (I'm more of a 30 minutes later kind of morning person). We eat breakfast quietly because I can't think enough to communicate anything beyond a mumble (sad isn't it?), but when he asks me to make a lunch for him I am able to function enough to make that happen. He takes the dog out so I don't have to go out in the cold then comes back inside to gather his things and go to work.

He asks me to call the vet about a minor question we have about Scout (I hate calling people and he knows this) so I say I'll try and he gets ill at that response. Which leads us to another few moments of silence then he pecks me on the cheek and starts to leave. (Our usual morning "ritual" is to hug and kiss and hug and kiss some more and tell each other to have a good day and I love you.) I stupidly comment on the fact that he didn't hug me, which leads to a brief fuss about how he shouldn't have to do everything and he did a lot for me this morning and I didn't even acknowledge it. I try to make a comeback point and fail. Well he walks out to go to work, and I stand in the kitchen wondering if he'll come back inside. He doesn't and I shed a couple tears because I'm not feeling awesome, it's my week to be emotional, and I hate the rare mornings where one of us leaves like this because it screws up our moods until it's resolved.

Then as the fog of grogginess disappears I realize how stupid the whole thing was, and how it all could have been prevented had I simply 1. said good morning and/or hugged him when I saw that he was cooking breakfast, 2. thanked him for his obvious efforts this morning, 3. just agreed to call the vet. None of these things would have been difficult. Of course I come to this realization 5 minutes AFTER he's gone for the day. I give him time to get to his office, call him but he's not there so I leave my apology message, he calls back a little while later, we talk it out and fix things and are fine now. I just hate having mornings like this and wish I was better at being a morning person/being awake enough to make more of an effort first thing in the morning.

Guess it's just reason #123,045,893 that I'm not perfect even though I very much have a complex of feeling like I have to be perfect. We all have our issues I guess :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww. I hate starting out the day like that, but at least you realized what's more important. You live and you learn :) And we all do it!