Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No room in the hospital... or the dress (updated)

SA was supposed to be airlifted to the bigger hospital yesterday. As of this moment she's still waiting to leave.

The holdup? No rooms at the bigger hospital are available yet.

Her situation gets more and more critical each passing day, so today especially pray that a room will be made available to her as quickly as possible. Thanks so much!

*Update - As of this afternoon there are still no more rooms available, so the #1 neurosurgeon at the bigger hospital will be flying to our hospital to perform SA's surgery. What a blessing for SA; she will not only be in God's hands, but also the best human hands available to her AND in a place she is familiar with. I'll keep you posted!*

*********

In other and MUCH lighter news, I started trying to slowly begin an exercise routine yesterday.

I have always been a tiny girl, around 5'5 and floating around 105ish lbs. My mom and all other women on her side of the family were the same way at my age so please do not think I don't enjoy food (I do) or that I have an eating disorder (I don't). I've always had frustrating time finding clothes that fit because I'll either be in between the sizes non-existent and small and/or there will be gaps or baggy-ness in undesirable places.

Anyways, I'm in a wedding this summer, and I get to wear a Barbie doll meets Pepto Bismal pink dress. It came in the mail the other day, I tried it on, its too big in some places (typical) so it will have to be altered but all in all it will be a flattering dress for everyone in this wedding. That made me happy.

While in the try-on-dresses mood I decided to try on a bridesmaids dress from last summer. My plan was to wear it this summer to some of the weddings I'll be attending this spring/summer.

I .

Could.

Not.

Zip.

It.

All.

The.

Way.

The zipper had a good 2.5 inches to go before it reaching the "all the way" point and it refused to go any further. I tried standing up straighter, sucking in, shifting the position of the dress. Nothing Worked. It put the resistant brakes on harder than Scout does when it's time for a bath.

This was a sad moment for me mostly because it wouldn't fit but also because this is the first bridesmaid dress I've had that could actually be reworn and be socially and fashionably acceptable and not scream "Bridesmaid's Dress" (think 27 Dresses). I finally get a $$$ rewearable dress and still only get to wear it one time. Figures.

I try to express my discontentment to my loving supportive husband and his reaction is, "Oh, well, that's ok, I didn't really like that dress anyway." So at least one of us is not terribly disappointed.

Moving on... B has been going to the gym regularly since the end of January and is seeing/feeling great results. He's been casually pushing me to be more active. I'm more the type to come home, make dinner, curl up with Scout and watch tv/read a book. Plus going to the gym would involve almost an hour extra commuting back and forth (not to mention the actual workout) and very little home time during the week, and walking/jogging outdoors is not appealing to me when its in the 30's and dark. Great attitude huh?

While I realized that I probably over-reacted to the dress thing since I still can fit very comfortably into my other clothes, it did make me think that I should start making a little more effort than I have been.

So I did.

I started stretching, doing crunches, and toning my arms. We're not talking anything impressive here... actually my results on Day 1 were quite pathetic, but it was Day 1. Let's just say I have plenty of room for improvement :-).

Once it begins to be a little warmer (bearable) outside I fully plan on appreciating the paved gradual hills of neighborhood roads, the comfort of tennis shoes, and quality time with Scout that involves more than letting him play fetch with his frisbee. I struggle a LOT with following through with goals like this, but really do want to make this a habit and something I grow to enjoy doing.

So, all of you runners, joggers, power walkers, workout fiends, and healthy lifestyle people out there... do you have any suggestions or motivation tips to help me out? What encouraged you to get moving?

1 comment:

Sweet Simplicity said...

You might have read about this on my blog, but finding a running club in your area makes such a big difference. I go with a friend. She runs at a much slower pace than I do, but she found a running buddy and they take it slow together. It makes such a big difference to have a group of people there to motivate you. Good luck!