Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Change

As I sit here trying to think of a topic to blog about I'm stuck on the thought of change.

Change is something that happens every single day whether I want it to or not.

Sometimes these changes are good, like my dog learns a new trick or a new recipe results in a fantastic husband approved dinner.

Sometimes these changes are not so good, like the meadow that is my backyard because our life schedule and Mother Nature's rain schedule have not meshed well lately.

And sometimes these changes are mysteries.

Do you ever think about where you'll be in 1 year? 5 years? 10 years?

In my personal life, I have a loose idea of where I'd like to be... happily married, nurturing a growing family, healthy, building a "forever home"...

But in my professional life... I find myself in a messy intersection with about 17,000 different routes to take. I want the place where I spend a majority of my day Monday-Friday to be one that I enjoy, where I have challenging and rewarding work, where I am respected by co-workers, where I can contribute to the financial well-being of my family.

I have no idea where that place is or even how to get there, nor do I know if such a place really even exists.

One day when I have children I want to strike that "magic balance" where I have a job I enjoy, but I also have the flexibility to be actively involved in the lives of my children. Most positions I've thought of that allow that flexibility to some degree require additional education. I have a 4 year degree, but I need more training in specific areas to make the most of it.

My current job was never supposed to be a "forever" job... it was supposed to teach me about the world, give me a break from school, and then allow me to move on to other experiences and goals. Sometimes I feel like I'm just itching for that change... that next step... I just don't know what it is yet.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that way ALL THE TIME.... let me know if you have any moments of clarity!!!

I am hosting a new blog carnival tomorrow called "Thursday Tirade" -- would love it if you would join!

http://justaddwalter.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

Totally know how you feel. I'm trying to figure out my professional life right now.

(Sorry I'm way behind on my Reader. Just now reading this.)