My apologies for my recent hiatus... it's been quite a week. In short, the past week has involved a car accident, a new car, and coyote hunting.
I almost always leave work at lunch to go home and let Scout out and eat lunch there. Last Wednesday I cut my lunch a few minutes short so that I could come back to work and discuss an upcoming potential work trip to Vegas with my manager before manager had to spend the afternoon in meetings. The driveway to my office is up a really steep hill with a very sharp turn when entering it from the 4 load road. When I got close to the driveway one of the 18-wheeler trucks that frequent our plant was blocking the driveway. So I have to come to a complete stop with my turn signal on and wait for the truck to move. This happens every so often, so it's more annoying than anything else.
Well as I'm waiting I happen to glance in my rear view mirror and notice a car coming towards me seemingly a lot faster than most cars usually approach me when I'm waiting to turn. I think to myself... oh no..that car is not slowing down and then braced myself. I feel the car hit my car/trunk, I hear an awful screeching car-wreckish noise, and then the next thing I know everything is quiet. I realize that I'm ok, sore neck but no blood, bruises, or broken anything (Praise GOD!) and proceed to start making phone calls.
First I called B (duh), then I called my office to let them know why I wasn't back from lunch. I asked our sales assistant (president's niece) to give me the # for the police department so I could get the flashing lights on their way to the scene, and she actually told me to go home and get my phonebook and look up the number for myself. Seriously. So I called 911. By then I had people making sure I was ok and trying to get me to move my car out of the road so not to cause any more accidents since apparently my tail-lights were busted. This whole time I'm staying calm and functioning normally. When I get out of my car and see that after the car hit me I slid forward 150ish feet, inches away for a very busy lane of traffic it got a lot more difficult to stay calm, cool, and collected. I cried anytime anyone tried to ask me if I was ok, got embarrassed that I cried, and repeated the cycle until B got there.
Long story short I gave my report to the police, was checked out by the EMS, had my car towed to a body shop, filed the insurance claim etc etc. Over the next couple days I was very sore, and kept reliving the accident in my mind, and received numerous calls and cards from friends and family. My low mileage, paid off car that I've had ever since I began driving was totaled. The timing was very much less than ideal, but when I think about how blessed I am that even the smallest detail of that moment didn't change in such a way that I could have been seriously injured, my perspective changes from "why me? why now?" to "it could have easily been a LOT worse." Oh, and in case you were wondering, the other lady involved in the collision was ok too.
So then came the issue of replacing my car. I test drove a Honda accord about a year ago and really loved the style car. This weekend my sister, B, and I went on some more test drives. Our neighbors have an accord they LOVE and shared the name of their salesman with us. This guy had sold our neighbors every car they've owned since 1990. When we told the salesman that they sent us he gave us an incredible deal, so I now own a new car! I'm not yet thrilled about the addition of a car payment, but I'm very satisfied with the car, so I'm sure I'll come around :-).

Sunday B, his best friend, and bf's-new-girl-he's-been-on-a-few-dates-with all went coyote hunting. I don't own any camo so I had to borrow from B and we'll just say that I was call the redneck rapper on Sunday based on how I looked. I was warm though so I didn't care. I've never been hunting before, and we didn't end up seeing any coyotes (which was honestly ok with me), but B did let me try to use the coyote call thing. It's supposed to sound like a animal in excruciating pain. When I tried it sounded more like a dying duck. Oh well. :-)
So that's basically what I've been up to the past week... I'm hoping this week is a lot less eventful!

2 comments:
Oh my! What a week you've had. Glad you're okay, and enjoy that new car :)
I have that same car. Got it in May and I LOVE IT! Best car I think I'll ever own.
Post a Comment